HWAN SU YOON
Hwan Su Yoon is an Associate Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at Sungkyunkwan University, Korea. He received his PhD in biology from Chungnam National University. After research training at the University of Iowa, he worked at the Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences. His research interests include eukaryotic biodiversity, phylogeny, single cell genomics, and genome evolution, with a focus on red algae and red algal plastid descendants (e.g., the cryptophytes, haptophytes, stramenopiles, dinoflagellates).
- 1994 – 1999 Ph.D. Biology, Chungnam National University, Korea. Molecular phylogenetic relationships of the Alariaceae and Laminariaceae (Phaeophyta).
- 1992 – 1994 M.S. Biology, Chungnam National University, Korea. Morphology, hybridization and systematics of Ceramium kondoi (Ceramiaceae, Rhodophyta).
- 1988 – 1992 B.S. Biology, Chungnam National University, Korea. Honors thesis, Morphology and karyotype of Convallaria majalis (Liliaceae) in Korea.
Professional Positions and Academic Experiences:
- 2014 – Present Associate Professor, Sungkyunkwan University
- 2012 – 2016 Visiting Adjunct Scholar, Rutgers University
- 2011 – 2014 Assistant Professor, Sungkyunkwan University.
- 2007 – 2011 Principle Investigator (Senior Research Scientist): Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences.
- 2004 – 2007 Senior Scientist: University of Iowa, Assembling the tree of eukaryotic microbial diversity, NSF.
- 2001 – 2004 Post Doctoral Fellow: University of Iowa, Secondary symbiotic origin of algal plastids and the phylogeny of the Bangiophycidae (Rhodophyta), NSF.
- 2000 – 2001 Post Doctoral Fellow: University of Iowa, The origin of algal plastids and Gracilaria plastid genomics (Rhodophyta), KOSEF.
- 2000 – 2000 Lecturer: Chungnam National University, Experimental Plant Systematics.
- 1995 – 1998 Teaching Assistant: Chungnam National University, Experimental plant systematics, Phycology, and Introductory biology.
- 2017 – 2022 Genome evolution of extremophilic red algae to adapt in the heavy metal-rich acidic hot spring environments. Lead PI. National Research Foundation (NRF) grant (2017R1A2B3001923), Korea.
- 2014 – 2022 The Marine Genome 100+ Korea. Lead PI for the Session II Marine Plant Genome. Collaborative Genome Program (20140428), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Korea.
- 2014 – 2017 Subclass level of red algal evolution based on the mitochondria and plastid genome analysis. Lead PI. National Research Foundation (NRF) grant (MEST: 2014R1A2A2A01003588), Korea.
- 2011 – 2017 Development of photosynthetic system through the gene finding study using comparative genomics. Lead PI. Rural Development Administration, Next-Generation BioGreen 21, Korea.
- 2010 – 2012 Diversity of marine protists: single cell genomics and imaging for Tara Oceans. Lead PI withM. Sieracki, R. Stepanauskas. NSF NSF Biological Oceanography. $330,000. DEB 1031049
- 2009 – 2013 Collaborative Research: RedToL: Phylogenetic and Genomic Study of the Red Algal Tree of Life. Lead PI withD. Bhattacharya, M. Vis, J.M. Lopez-Bautista, M. Hommersand, S. Fredericq, G. Saunders, S. M. Boo. NSF Assembly of Tree of Life Program. $2,949,103. DEB 0937975, DEB 1317114
- 2009 – 2012 Acquisition of a Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope at the Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences. Co-PI with D. Emerson, D. M. Field, D. S. Twining, H. S. Yoon. NSF FMSL $341,265. DBI 0934176
- 2009 Diversity and evolution of Paulinella. Flinders Research Centre for Coastal and Catchment Environments (FR3CE) Visiting Scholar Fellowship, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia. AUD $6,000.
- 2008 – 2011 Unlocking the mysteries of plastid establishment through comparative genome analysis of two Paulinella species. Lead PI with R. A. Andersen, D. Bhattacharya. NSF Microbial Genome Sequencing Program. $993,910. DEB 0827023
- 2008 – 2011 Acquisition of equipment for microbial single cell genomics research. Co-PI with R. Stepanauskas, D. McClellan, M. Sieracki, W. Wilson. NSF, OCE, Major Research Instrumentation. $494,045. OCE 0821374
- 2000 Korean Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF), Postdoctoral Fellow with D. Bhattacharya, University of Iowa, USA.
- 1999 Korean Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF), Postdoctoral Fellow with S. M. Boo, Chungnam National University, Korea.
- Member: Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution, Phycological Society of America, International Phycological Society, International Society of Protistologists. Korean Society of Phycology.
- Reviewer: Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, The Journal of Phycology, Phycologia, The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, BMC Evolutionary Biology, Protist, NSF Grant panel member and Ad Hoc reviewer, Algae.
- Committee Member: Election committee of Phycological Society of America (2008-2010), Organizing committee of 7th International Chrysophyte Symposium 2008.
- Editorial Board Member: Botanica Marina (2008-2012), Algae (2010-present), Journal of Phycology (2011-2013)
- Associate Editor: Phycologia (2012-2014)
- Officers: Vice President of the International Society of Protistologists (2012-2013)
- 2013/8/28 2012 국가연구개발 우수성과 100선 (미래창조과학부)
- 2013/12/20 농업연구 대외평가우수상 (농림축산식품부)